Aug 1, 2024

New York City pigeons vs Amsterdam pigeons OR me freaking out on July 31st

This fall, a 16-foot-tall pigeon will alight on the spur of the High Line that bridges Tenth Avenue at 30th Street. The pigeon’s name is Dinosaur. The artist, Iván Argote, tries to elevate the pigeon to a heroic level.


Picture of the NY pigeon:


I live in Amsterdam and personally I detest (putting it mildly) the pigeons over here. I even detest them more than the Fatbikes over here. And that means a lot. Although the Fatbikes are pretty nice to see, it's more like with a dogs. You say you don't like the dog, but what you mean is you detest the owner. True, this is for another post.


Yesterday suddenly I woke up at 05.30 in the morning by a couple of pigeons trying to land on my windowsill so I totally freaked out. Jumped out of bed, was screaming out of the window to chase them away (sorry neighbours) and ran over to my computer to do some research on how to get rid of them.

Found a fast solution: pigeons don't like red pepper, garlic et cetera. Ran back to my bedroom window and put some chili flakes on the windowsill ... ohmmmmm.

Next: pigeon pins. I couldn't order them on line because I was in total panic ... I NEED TO SOLVE THIS TODAY!!!!! So on my bicycle to different shops. Found them at Hornbach:



Bought also some construction glue over there and went back home like a cyclist in the Tour the France.


Next I put these aggressive things on my windowsill (yes, I did it myself and the wounds on my hands are the proof) and fabricated straight away the third solution I found. It said hang cd's outside ... which I don't have anymore (thanks Apple, Spotify, Sonos and Google and portable storage devices) or use aluminium foil.


This is the result:


... and this is an Amsterdam pigeon wishing me dead:



No comments:

Post a Comment