Nov 10, 2019

Just Thinking Out Loud - Man Repeller

Yesterday I was thinking about the Chinese Black Friday named 'Singles Day'. I was confused, what do I do? Buy myself a present? Or do I get presents? It seems to be an alternative for Valentines Day. Another 'shopping' day.

Today I'm thinking about the word 'man repeller' because of this article on Bored Panda: Woman Posts Outfit Pics Her Boyfriend Hates, Captions Each One With A Quote From Him. I checked her Instagram account, which is entertaining and noticed the #manrepeller.

I checked Urban Dictionary:
manrepeller
–noun
outfitting oneself in a sartorially offensive way that will result in repelling members of the opposite sex. This includes but is not limited to harem pants, boyfriend jeans, overalls (see: human repelling), shoulder pads, full length jumpsuits, jewelry that resembles violent weaponry and clogs.

–verb (used without object),-pell·ing, -pell·ed.
to commit the act of repelling men

Huh?

Googled and first hit is manrepeller.com, a popular fashion blog.
I put the filter on images and *shock* found an article on The Guardian about the Milan fashion show The 'Man Repeller' look.


All of a sudden I remembered that years ago I bought these red checkered golf trousers (I know ... I'm such a fashionista 😏). A male friend made the remark: I'm definitely not getting aroused by this. I replied: You're not the target audience.

Doesn't 'man repeller' gives to much credit to men?
Isn't 'men repeller' now another 'shopping' invention?

Have to think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment